Re: Release criteria proposal: boot to console

On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 15:56 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 19:19 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Hi, folks. Quite a lot of release criteria proposals came out of today's
> > go/no-go meeting. I'll propose them formally for discussion and addition
> > to the official criteria here.
>
> As there was general agreement with both the 'boot to console' and
> 'basic graphics mode' criteria, I have added them. Since the Alpha is
> now more or less done, I decided to create the Fedora 15 Alpha Release
> Criteria page and add the Alpha criteria there:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_15_Alpha_Release_Criteria
>
> I added the single proposed Beta criterion to the F14 criteria:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_Beta_Release_Criteria
>
> We may need to check that existing test cases cover these criteria, and
> if not, create additional ones. Hurry, any take on that?

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reminding, I've seen your updates. For:

Alpha: # The graphical boot menu for all installation images should
include an entry which causes both installation and the installed system
to use a generic, highly compatible video driver (such as 'vesa'). This
mechanism should work correctly, launching the installer and attempting
to use the generic driver

The existing basic video driver case[1] has covered it.

Alpha: # When booting a system installed without a graphical
environment, or when using a correct configuration setting to cause an
installed system to boot in non-graphical mode, the system should boot
to a state where it is possible to log in through at least one of the
default virtual consoles

Beta: # When booting a system installed without a graphical environment,
or when using a correct configuration setting to cause an installed
system to boot in non-graphical mode, the system should provide a
working login prompt without any user intervention (aside from the
firstboot utility) when boot is complete, and all virtual consoles
intended to provide a working login prompt should do so

I think minimal package install[2] already covers the 'boot to console'
case. After install, user boots to the system and then identify if it
passes Alpha or Beta criteria. The 'release level' should be changed
from Alpha to Alpha/Beta.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Hurry