Re: My own ATI card roundup

On Thu, 06 May 2010 01:46:11 +0100
Adam Williamson wrote:

> There's no 'of course' about it, there's no intrinsic reason vesa
> shouldn't be capable of the native resolution

Then why doesn't it read the EDID info and just go ahead and do
native resolution? I thought the vesa driver was restricted
to the built-in list of vesa standard resolutions or maybe
mode setting via the BIOS (the BIOS on this video card
can't do 1920x1088 either, it fact if it tries to read the EDID
info it picks a mode the monitor can't display at all).

That's actually what I'd much rather have than a fast driver:
a driver that worked reliably in 2D at native resolution
all the time. Worry about speed and 3D much, much later :-).