Re: bogus images/README file on DVD

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 22:58 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
I was just trying to figure out how to install from a DVD image
on a system with only a CD drive, and went looking for the
boot.iso file I used to be able to boot to access the DVD
image mounted under a web server in another computer.

I found the images directory and the README file in there
which describes boot.iso in glowing terms, but there isn't
a boot.iso file in the image directory (at least not on
the F13 beta x86_64 dvd).

So how do I do the install these days? Download the netinst
iso file from the mirrors?

Tom,

One obvious solution to your problem would be to download and burn the CD images instead of the DVD.

There is a way to interrupt the boot sequence of CD disc1 (the DVD too for that matter) and select a network/alternative source (NFS, FTP, HTTP, local hard drive) for the installation ISO image. Unfortunately the keystroke sequence needed to access that method has pretty much faded from the documentation. I like to have that DVD ISO image on a second /dev/sdb1 hard drive partition. It's much faster compared to most CD/DVD drives.

You're right about boot.iso not being there -- on both i386 and x86_64 beta DVD images. I haven't checked the CD images. It's not needed to install from DVD, however.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL