Re: RC4 graphical install fails in VirtualBox

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 11:41 -0500, Andre Robatino wrote:
> Adam Jackson wrote:
>
> > Should be fixed in xorg-x11-server 1.7.99.901-10.20100223.  We can't
> > really package the vboxvideo driver yet because upstream is unwilling
> > and/or unable to provide interface stability to the vbox video device
> > itself.
>
> Do you know if this has anything to do with X not starting when
> installing RC4?  If so, I won't report it in the RC4 test matrix.

Yes, it is. Adam and I tracked this one down last week; we don't have
the vboxvideo driver in Fedora, but we did have the autodetect code in
the X server which tries to use it when it detects a VirtualBox
'graphics adapter'. And for some reason, X wasn't falling back to vesa
when it noticed vboxvideo wasn't present, it just fell over. So we
changed the autodetect code to go straight to vesa, for now.

Whether this is an Alpha blocker is a judgment call, as it falls into
the configuration-specific grey area. Our judgment on it is that it's
not a blocker. =)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey