DVI output for GeoForce 8400 GS to ViewSonic VX2235wm LCD monitor doesn't work

My old 32-bit system, on which I was running bleeding-edge Rawhide, died when folks working in my house fried my motherboard by plugging a sheetrock saw into my UPS (brilliant!).  I've replaced my old system with a home-built system with an Asus P5Q SE2 motherboard and a GeoForce 8400 GS graphics controller.  To allow things to stabilize for a while before going back to bleeding-edge, I'm now running F12 with updates-testing rather than Rawhide.  Also, I've switched to 64-bit.

My monitor, a ViewSonic VX2235wm LCD, has both VGA and DVI inputs.  With my old system, I was using VGA, since my graphics controller didn't have DVI out.  The GeoForce, however, has DVI out, so I'd like to start using it.  The problem is that when I try to switch from VGA to DVI, the monitor claims that it's getting no digital signal.  This could be due to any number of different problems, e.g.:

·         Broken monitor

·         Broken graphics controller

·         Bad / incompatible DVI cable

·         Incompatibility between the kind of DVI signal the controller is generating and the kind of signal the monitor accepts (I hear rumors that this kind of thing happens, but I know very little about the various video out formats and therefore have no insight into it or how to diagnose it)

·         Known bug / non-support for DVI output in kernel and/or X driver

·         Regression in kernel and/or X driver

·         Me doing something stupid

I'm hoping there's somebody here who can help me narrow down the possibilities so that I know whether I should file a bug about this, replace some hardware, just live with it, or what.

Here's some additional information that is probably relevant:

·         I've got no xorg.conf file (i.e., I'm using whatever settings the X server determines automatically).

·         My SMOLT profile is at http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_f04ce08e-bef7-4c17-8d9d-43905badf700.

·         When I connect the monitor with just DVI and reboot the system, the BIOS and GRUB screens (well, I'm sure about the BIOS screens but less certain about the GRUB screen) render just fine through DVI, but then the screen goes blank.

·         When the DVI cable is not plugged in, xrandr says that it's not plugged in.  When it is plugged in, xrandr acknowledges that it has been plugged in.

·         I'm not certain, but I believe that when I unplug the DVI cable after it has been plugged in, xrandr doesn't notice that it has been unplugged.

·         Judging from my Xorg.0.log (http://stuff.mit.edu./~jik/misc/Xorg.0.log.txt), the X server notices when the DVI cable is inserted or removed.

·         When I open System > Preferences > Display with both VGA and DVI connected, it acknowledges that there are two monitors connected.  If I then tell it to mirror my screens, apply the changes, and either unplug the VGA cable or use the monitor menu to switch to DVI input, the monitor goes blank.  Ditto of I tell it that I want to extend my display to both screens.

I think that's everything I've got.  So, does anybody have any insights or suggestions?

Thanks,

Jik