Re: increasing grub timeout?

Scott Robbins wrote:

I know all that, but several times in the past 24 hours I've found myself booting the wrong thing.

Increasing _to_ three seconds? Ten is nearer the mark, I think. Especially for those of us playing with virtual machines and windows popping up and going away

I figure 3 seconds as a compromise.  :)  Yes, I had forgotten about how
many VMs, especially ESX (as opposed to ESXi) won't work with that--for
those who run ESX in an enterprise, you have probably experienced the
console not really showing anything or accepting keystrokes till the
progress bar begins to show.
Too much bling at the expense of function, I say.

That's the argument we should avoid in this case, IMVHO. (V for very). I've just resigned myself to the fact that the desktop oriented distributions all want to head that way and that it seem to be what the majority of users desire.

I support Linux, OS X and Windows. if there's a problem booting, I need the messages the user can't see.

Bling at the expense of function is exactly the term. A pretty face is all well and good as far as it goes. That's not far, on systems I manage. If The Boss has a problem booting his lappy (he runs OS X but never mind ...), there is some prospect I can fix the problem by phone if the relevant messages are on his screen.

At any rate, it's easy enough to change once one can make that first
boot.  In this case, I'm talking about the situations where the user
*must* add something to the grub line in order to boot.  Otherwise, if
they aren't aware of how to edit before the first reboot, some of them wind up having to boot with a rescue CD and fix it that
way.  Yes, it can be edited before that first reboot, but with a target
audience of desktop user, a relative few will look at the release notes
or know how to do it, especially with the first installation of a new
system.

Let me guess:
Always, "Oh, how pretty!"
Never
"What happened to all those system messages? Doesn't linux tell us what's happening any more?"

My wife, a kindergarten teacher, has never complained about those messages.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait