Re: May I safely execute yum-complete-transaction?

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009, Paul Johnson wrote:

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I had a power shortage while I ran "yum update". After booting up, yum
told me to run yum-complete-transaction.

However yum-complete-transaction reported (see attachement), it would:
Install       7 Package(s)
Upgrade     205 Package(s)
Remove      209 Package(s)

So I canceld, afraid of having a lot of stiff accidentially removed.

Is it safe to let yum-complete-transaction continue?

Thanks, Clemens

Watch out!

Same happened to me and I mistakenly let it proceed.  It removed lots
and lots of VITAL packages.  As far as I can see, it acted as if it
has installed the new updates, but it had not.  Then it removed very
imprortant things and it was very difficult to recover.

I'd like to know how to "clear" the yum system so that
yum-complete-transaction does not think it needs to "help" me any
more.

yum-complete-transaction --cleanup-only

which is in the --help output.

Also if you have a good case could you run the latest yum-complete-transaction from here:

http://yum.baseurl.org/gitweb?p=yum-utils.git;a=blob_plain;f=yum-complete-transaction.py;hb=c5fae0afe3f88a66757a432657d765c343e7bd4d

it adds some more error checking and in my tests it does a pretty good job.

thanks,
-sv