Re: W: Possible missing firmware ???.fw.bin?? for module ??????.ko

Adam Williamson wrote:
On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 00:17 -0600, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:

  Installing     : kernel-2.6.31.5-115.fc12.x86_64
W: Possible missing firmware aic94xx-seq.fw for module aic94xx.ko
W: Possible missing firmware ql8100_fw.bin for module qla2xxx.ko

This laptop may be a horse (quad cores), but it's not at all in the same
league as workstations/servers needing fibre channel cards to access SAN
storage. Why does this kernel seem to *expect* these files to be there,
then raise warnings when it doesn't find them? It seems to me the
overhelming majority of machines on which this kernel might be installed
would never have a need for a fiber channel card.

It's not the kernel warning, AIUI, it's dracut. It just prints a warning
for _any_ module in the initrd it's building that looks like it needs
firmware which is not present. And because we build universal initrds by
default with dracut, these modules go in even if they're not needed on
your hardware.

Ah! Sounds like dracut is being a bit, uh, draconian. "All SCSI-ish controllers should be fully ready to rock when I run." Ok, that makes
sense in a weird sorta way.