Re: Where's Konqueror in SU

Todd Zullinger wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:
Same with gnome. Someone's misguided attempt to secure the system.
It's dead easy to install a system with no means to login to a GUI
and configure stuff.

A note to the original poster, I misread your question, and interpreted it wrongly. Sorry about that.

All you need do is install sans user account.

I'd suggest that anyone who sets up a system without any user accounts
_and_ somehow needs a GUI to configure the system _and_ can't manage
to figure out the settings to change so they can login as root should
probably not be pretending to be a competent administrator.

My security is my responsibility, not my vendor's. The vendor's responsibility is to provide tools and documentation.

Neither you nor my vendors understand my particular requirements and circumstances, and lacking that information you are poorly qualified to judge.

Here are the most relevant RHEL manuals:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.4/html/Installation_Guide/index.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.4/html/Deployment_Guide/index.html
Find where either one describes creating a user account during manua; (that is, not kickstart) installation.I looked, I don't see it and I don't recall it,

I've not done a manual install of Fedora for some time, my normal install for any of the RHL family is by kickstart, and I do normally create user accounts, add some to wheel and configure sudo so members of the wheel group can administer using sudo.

In contrast, Debian and Ubuntu insist.

Are there not enough examples from Windows of why it's a terrible idea
to run with full administrator privileges -- especially software like
web browsers?

Recommendations I've seen on windows are
1. Use administrative accounts for administration only.
or
2. Use regular accounts, use "run as" to gain elevated privilege when required. Unfortunately for this advice, Windows Update failed for me on two systems, so I have it up. My approach is the first.

A well-designed GUI is not to be scorned. It presents the user's choices and provides guidance in making choices, and can make sure the choices are sane. Where a change must be reflected in several files, it can take care of that.

Of course, a TUI could do as well, but last I looked I could not find any TUI-writing tools to match what I had on MSDOS 3.31 (or OS/2 in DOS mode) last century.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait