Re: yum

Seth Vidal wrote:

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009, John Summerfield wrote:

Seth Vidal wrote:

If stdin is not a tty, don't ask, but do it if "--force" so that it can still be scripted.

yum has the protect-packages plugin.

It does more or less what you mention above.

It's not installed on my RHEL-clone system. I don't have a useful Fedora system at present, so I can't check that.

Unless yum-protect-packages is part of the standard set of installed packages, it's not going to be very effective.

I see a lot of yum plugins listed but uninstalled, I don't know what most of them do. Perhaps more of them should be installed as part of the base installation, and users directed to configure them.

If you install the protect-packages plugin with base it plays hell with things like mock and chroot construction - which is part of the reason

Then the suggestion isn't really done. I've not used mock (but I might), and I have done chroot maintenance, and wouldn't want to do anything to make it hard to do so again.

it is not installed in base. We can work around it - but we've not had much demand for it.

I can understand that, it's taken years for me to get around to suggesting it. Still I think it's something that should be done, properly.

And considering the lack of detail here I don't see that demand increasing overly much.

I tried to be clear, but like whoever wrote these, I may have assumed too much:
Name       : yum-kmod
Arch       : noarch
Version    : 1.1.16
Release    : 13.el5.centos
Size       : 17 k
Repo       : base
Summary    : Yum plugin to handle fedora kernel modules.
URL        : http://linux.duke.edu/yum/download/yum-utils/
License    : GPLv2+
Name       : yum-aliases
Arch       : noarch
Version    : 1.1.16
Release    : 13.el5.centos
Size       : 16 k
Repo       : base
Summary    : Yum plugin to enable aliases filters
URL        : http://linux.duke.edu/yum/download/yum-utils/
License    : GPLv2+

If you wish to have this protection then you can install it. It's pretty simple.

I'm talking about improving Fedora (and RHEL), not about fixing any problems I have. If a package, as installed, lacks a particular feature, I'm more likely to assume the feature doesn't exist than to look for optional extras. Looking for optional extras for each package - I have 1227 installed on my desktop system - that lacks some feature I would like doesn't scale well.

If the optional extra doesn't work in some (undocumented) circumstances, then I agree, it's not generally usable.

I for one would vote for more integrated[1] functionality, and fewer optional extras. Some might be turned off by default - not everyone should use fastestmirror for example. Yum commands to manipulate plugins (and repos) would be handy:
yum list plugins
yum enable plugin fred
yum disable plugin fred
"plugin" and "plugins" should be synonymous, people are likely to use either and become frustrated when they guess wrongly.

1 "Integrated" might be satisfied by inclusion in a standard install, I don't mean to prescribe how they should be written.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait