Re: simultaneous nm-applet

Bruno Medeiros wrote:
People,

Is nm-applet supposed to work in two users logged at the same time?
If it is, I have a problem here because only the first user logged in have
the applet, the others get a error like this:

[brunojcm@brunojcm-laptop ~]$ nm-applet
** (nm-applet:6195): WARNING **: <WARN>  request_name(): Could not acquire
the session service as it is already taken.  Return: 3
** (nm-applet:6195): WARNING **: <WARN>  constructor(): Couldn't initialize
the D-Bus manager.

Is it a bug?

Not really.  NM is fired up for the first desktop user and sets the
machine's IP address (either static or via DHCP).  If you have multiple
simultaneous desktop users (I'm assuming they're coming in over vnc or
something), then the second and subsequent simultaneous users will get
that error.  The machine has an IP already, there's no need to do it again.

If you're going to have multiple desktop users, I'd remove "Network
Manager" from the users' start up programs (under Gnome:
System->Preferences->Startup Applications) and use the old-style
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network startup instead.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                      ricks@xxxxxxxx -
- ...Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror -
-                      and you'd be on your own, pal!                -