Upgrade yesterday killed my installation

When I upgraded yesterday, I noticed that the reboot command failed so I shutdown my laptop by powering off. But even worse, I now cannot boot into the system. I get segment errors from init[1]. Gdb, on the generated core files says that the command was either /sbin/init --restart ...... or /sbin/init --rescue. I have three dracut versions of the kernel on my system, they all exhibit the problem. The previous two version worked so I am surprised.

1) for me, how do I recover without doing a re-install. Too hard to get my wireless working on this machine. I have working liveusb.
2) how do I obtain enough info for bugzilla. Will a core file suffice?