Behavioral change in hostname

I just tracked down a problem a couple of us are having with the 'hostname -f' function in FC10.

It seems that at some release there was a change in creating the /etc/hosts file from:

127.0.0.1   FQDN   host   localhost.localdomain localhost

to:

127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain localhost   FQDN   host

So 'hostname -f' use to return FQDN, now it returns localhost.localdomain.

I am only running Centos 5.3 and FC10 here right now and I see the difference between the two.
When did this change occur?

What can be done to get 'hostname' to always figure out to return the FQDN if one exists?