F11 httpd - non-root "service httpd status" reports wrong

F11+updates doing a "service httpd status" reports that the subsystem is locked but httpd dead. Examination of ps output shows the httpd processes, and pidof reports them. Prepending sudo to the service command does things right.

Not sure why the sudo makes a difference, but it seems to me that it shouldn't require root privleges to simply inquire for the status of something.

Should I file a bug against service or httpd?

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury