Re: Dependency checking running for over an hour in -- anyone?

On 08/17/2009 11:44 AM, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
On 08/14/2009 09:33 AM, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
a test install of rawhide 20090813 with anaconda 12.14.

First try user aborted after waiting for over an hour after selecting
default installation.

Second try, without default gnome desktop, started at beginning of
Redskins vs Ravens game. Sometime in third quarter, install started and
completed successfully.

install method for both was: method=http://..etc..

and first was kojipkgs and second was local mirror.

Is this to be expected right now? Happy to bz if appropriate.

Doesn't anyone have any ideas about this?

It is taking between 1.5 and 2 yours for the checking dependencies
portion of a new install to run before the actual installation takes
place. All installs were fresh with method=http:// etc, etc. Two were on
a local mirror and one was on kojipkgs.

Is it the method= methodology that is at fault?

Please, someone, provide some insight. If none, please point me in some
direction to diagnose what is going on. I know that F12 alpha DVD will
be a good verification of methodology.

Here is what I now hypothesize the problem was: the test system had multiple instances of Fedora, 8 to 11 plus rawhide plus i386 and x86_64 versions and Debian, Ubuntu, SUSE, Mandriva and Slack. I started all over with clean drives and installed from DVD FC12 Alpha rc2, Fedora 11 and finally a recent rawhide compose, all x86_64 and dependency checking is currently running under a minute--both from DVD or method=http://etc etc. So, I believe that dependency checking became confused since almost every linux installation, before slicking the disks, was picked up by anaconda and marked as upgradable or not and the dependency checking code spun around the various installations until it locked onto the one currently being installed.

I am slowly rebuilding the original test system and will see if this hypothesis is correct. Will take a long time.