Re: ext4 disaster

On 06/12/2009 06:28 AM, Neal Becker wrote:
On reboot, the kernel would not mount root,
saying it was using unsupported features!!

as others have mentioned, probably you don't have the right modules or settings in your initrd. Does fstab say 'ext4'?

 I tried fixing with tune2fs, but
tune2fs refuses to turn off extents.

tune2fs is just flipping a flag here, right? So, probably once you have extents on a disk it's not possible to turn it off with tune2fs, as a safety measure. ext4 is available in either flavor, but once you go with extents you lose ext3 compatibility, IIRC. If your initrd was trying to mount / as ext3 this would make some sense about what you're seeing.

I did a clean install of F11 from scratch, choosing default ext4.  Rebooted,
and guess what?  Same thing!

Did you reformat as well as reinstall? Did the initrd get recreated (date stamp)?

Big question: why did anaconda mount ext4 fine, but when I try to boot off
my hard disk the (same kernel) won't?

It could be that anaconda does detection but your initrd is hard-coded. This might be another case where a bigger, auto-detecting initrd would help.

-Bill
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Cell: 603.252.2606
Twitter, etc.: bill_mcgonigle   Page: 603.442.1833
Email, IM, VOIP: bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/