Re: no display after pre-upgrade from F10 to Rawhide

On 06/08/2009 09:47 AM, Claude Jones wrote:
On 6/8/2009 1:36 AM, cornel panceac wrote:
2009/6/8 Claude Jones <cjoneslists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:cjoneslists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

    I had a functioning F10 and decided to pre-upgrade to Rawhide/F11.
    It worked somewhat, but I'm left with one major problem. I can't get
    x to start. I had been running the nvidia driver from rpmfusion.
    That's been removed and xorg.conf was deleted. Nouveau failed to
    start. I reinstalled the nvidia driver, and that failed to start. I
    removed it again, deleted xorg.conf again, and nv refused to run on
    next boot. I do get the Grub splash screen at the very beginning of
    the boot process - isn't that dependent on x?

    Anyhow, I'm not sure where to go with this. I can install/uninstall
    stuff from repos from the command line. Suggestions welcome...

until someone has a better idea, try appending

nomodeset

to kernel line in grub, then, if it works,  in grub.conf .
btw, what video card?

lspci reports:
01:00.0 VGA Compatible Controller: nVidia Corporation G72 [GeForce 7300SE] (Rev a1)

I finally got some video but the problem wasn't what I thought, and there are still some video issues. I went in and changed my default desktop and login manager from KDE to blank in the /sysconfig/desktop file; that allowed GDM to open a login screen and once I changed my default login desktop to Gnome, I was able to get in. So, it would appear that there is a big issue with my KDE installation. All this was working perfectly before preupgrade.

Video is currently using the nv driver and it though it appears to be detecting my monitor correctly according to system-config-display, it auto-configures it to only allow up to 1280X1024 while the monitor's native resolution is 1920X1080. If I try to change it to the correct resolution from within system-config-display/hardware the video won't come up when I restart X.

Also, I'm getting a lot of strange errors from yum - when it first came up after the upgrade, it actually gave me a message that yum was not present; I had to go in and delete some modules that were no longer in use anyway, and download and reinstall a slightly earlier version of yum and a couple of associated packages, before it would start working. After that, it ran a couple of updates OK; now, I'm getting a bunch of dependency errors every time I try to run update having to with sql and qt and some libs such as libcrypto.so.7 and libssl.so.7 -- this new wrinkle is probably not yum, but a slow mirror or something like that.

I ran preupgrade on this same machine to go from F9 to F10 some many months back, but it was a much smoother process...If I knew what to pinpoint as the problem, I'd file some bug reports, but right now, it's a bit confusing as to what's causing what...

There is the possibility that that the driver version for Nvidia and your Video card has changed. How old is your video card ? Go back to Nvidia.com and check your video card and see what version it is compatible with.
This happens quit a bit with Nvidia cards as they get older.