every so often, screen just goes black

Maybe this will help...
Has anyone considered if the video is trying to switch between DVI and Analog. That seems to be what mine is doing. Two machines both Intel MB one with nvidia and one with ati video adapters, both with dvi/al connections, both monitors are also dvi/al . I caught it by chance doing this when it went blank for a couple minutes giving me time to switch it manually using the buttons provided on the monitor. When the dvi was off, the al was on,
and when the al went blank the dvi was back on.
Once I do the manual switch it settles down and dosen't repeat for a long time..

Haven't found the cause as yet, but I'm digging...(in way over my head too)
~Mike