Re: every so often, screen just goes black

On 05/30/2009 01:23 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Sat, 30 May 2009, Robert L Cochran wrote:

I can say the package is definitely not fixing this issue for me. My monitors
still go black for up to 10 seconds at random intervals.

Bob

   hang on ... you mean if you do nothing, the monitor comes back?  i
don't remember that behaviour but maybe i just didn't give it enough
time.

rday
Well, maybe I'll have to observe this more carefully the next time it happens. I have a laptop with an Nvidia card and the laptop is connected to a 24" Dell flat panel monitor. Every now and then, say every 30-45 minutes, my screen suddenly goes blank on me. My Dell flat panel monitor's power button changes from a bright green LED to a yellow LED to indicate a changing power mode.

It is almost like the laptop is going into power save mode.

When my screen blanks out on me, I have this habit of frantically moving my mouse, and about 5 seconds later the laptop LCD comes back on and then about another 3-5 seconds later the big Dell flat panel comes back on. It does come on eventually.

Maybe I need to let it go blank and see if the screen will come back on without me jiggling the mouse.

Details of my video card:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Quadro NVS 160M (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Dell Device 0233
Memory at f5000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable)
Memory at f2000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
I/O ports at df00
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel modules: nouveau

Bob