Re: file conflicts with previous version

On Tue, 19 May 2009, Chris Adams wrote:

Once upon a time, James M. Leddy <jleddy@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
I know that upgrading via yum is unsupported an not to ever do it and
to use preupgrade, but I'm still curious as to why I get messages like
this:

  file /etc/gpm-twiddler.conf from install of
gpm-1.20.6-3.fc11.x86_64 conflicts with file from package
gpm-1.20.5-2.fc10.i386

The problem is that in F10, gpm was multilib on x86_64 (there is an i386
and an x86_64 package).  In F11, the multilib parts of gpm were moved to
a subpackage, gpm-libs, and only that subpackage is multilib (the only
gpm base package in F11 is x86_64).

I'm not sure how anaconda handles that (does the gpm.i386 just get
left behind?).

Maybe the gpm-libs package should have had an obsoletes on the last
version that didn't have the separate gpm-libs package (0:1.20.5-2)?  I
think that would have covered this case (or would that have just caused
gpm to be removed unless something else requires the base gpm package?).

That sounds like it would  have been a good idea.
file a bug?

-sv