Re: Weird Character Mapping on Evolution on F11 Preview

Christopher A. Williams wrote:
On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 15:56 +0100, M A Young wrote:
On Sun, 17 May 2009, Christopher A. Williams wrote:

Instead of showing the character (usually commas, apostrophes, and
single / double quotes), it shows a small square box with what appears
to be a hex code inside of it. I'm assuming that this is Evolution's way
of saying, "I give up - since I don't know how to display this
character, I'm going to display the hex code for this character
instead."
I don't think it is just evolution, as that is the standard way to display unicode characters if there isn't a matching character in the selected font. It may be that that email is using a different character set and not declaring it properly, or it may that there are fonts packages you can add so that those characters display correctly.

Indeed! Here's a sample of the HTML source code from an e-mail message I
got today on this. Note that the characters which don't show up are all
the ones that are supposedly encoded to display specific HTML
characters:

        ...but Bishop Fulton Sheen summed it up most succinctly. He was
        reviewing a contract for a television deal when he said with a
        sigh, “The big print giveth, and the fine print taketh
        away.”
        It&#146;s understandable when people unfamiliar with the Bible
        balk at the simple offer of salvation in verses like John
        3:16&#151;they want to know,where&#146;s the fine print? While
        the Bible does have more to say about salvation than simply,
        &#147;believe and be saved,&#148; the terms of salvation
        outlined in the Bible don&#146;t constitute a complex web of
        misleading promises.

These are probably "windows 1252" rather than latin1 encoding. Try changing it in the message display if you can.