Re: F11 updates vs. rawhide

Rex Dieter wrote:
Allen Kistler wrote:

So there's an unavailable F11 repo that's getting all the bug fixes that
aren't going into the final release, and it's starting now so there's
not a massive update push right at release.

Correct.
Am I reading between the lines correctly?  I'm just curious, because
there's still some new F11 stuff going into rawhide, too.

Only release-critical stuff is going into rawhide/F-11(ga)

That makes perfect sense, what could be better than to release a bunch of packages for which there are known bug fixes, then everyone can install the release and spend the effort and bandwidth to upgrade to install the bug fixes later, one machine at a time instead of from the install DVD.

Wait, maybe that doesn't make perfect sense after all...   ;-)

Okay, I'm being sarcastic, but I would rather install a lightly-tested bug fix than a version with a known bug. In one case I absolutely will have to upgrade the package on every machine, in the other the bug fix may be fine.

Note: I am not talking about upgrade to newer upstream versions, only any pending fixes for actual known bugs. That may actually may be what's happening, and Allen may have said "bug fixes" when in fact it is upgrades to newer versions being queued. In 99% of the cases I don't care about going to newer releases, and probably most people aren't waiting for the latest feature in their software, as long as the existing features work as planned.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>