Re: Fedora 11 fail because of Anaconda :(

Peter Robinson wrote:
I don't have any warm fuzzies about how good F11 is going to be;
I'm afraid that anaconda's instability has blocked a lot of the
testing we'd normally get.
Fair point.  I'm optimistic with the number of Test Days and the
increasing use of live images for testing.  That said, there is a
significant hurdle to overcome for calming down the installer.

I agree the test days have helped but its concerning that I still
can't do an install with custom partitions with the preview release.
And there doesn't seem to be a lot of traction on the bug to fix it
before release.

I did test custom partitioning a bit extensively and actually one of the Anaconda maintainer thought I
was nuts testing this and claimed this would never be an end user case.

Which btw is true but then again no normal end user uses the custom partition layout.

I came across few filed only one ( Bug 498064 ) which I could reproduce easily seemed to related to the tenth partition ( /dev/sda10 I also have a flaky dvd drive ). Try deleting partition(s) before playing with them in custom partition layout a workaround I've used
when Anaconda and custom partitioning has not been playing nice.

Now Anaconda in preview is in much better shape then beta but is not quite there yet.

So far team Anaconda has gotten the installer in usable state before final.

We just need to retest with newer anaconda builds when we can and update our reports if the issue still exists. ( Comment on the report either that the issue is still present or fixed in x version of anaconda )

I also performed an upgrade just yesterday through anaconda ( preview dvd i586) and it went with out a hitch ( I actually had expected anaconda to fail since there where some rpmfusion packages installed )

However after I updated the machine after the upgrade and rebooted, grub was messed up for some reason and I was left with just "GRUB" on the screen which leaves me a bit worried I fixed it by rescue booting and reinstall grub but that is something that a novice end user certainly is unable to perform or do..

JBG
begin:vcard
fn:Johann B. Gudmundsson
n:Gudmundsson;Johann B.
org:Reiknistofnun - University of Iceland;IT Management
adr:Taeknigardi;;Dunhagi 5;Reykjavik;;107;Iceland
email;internet:johannbg@xxxxx
title:Unix System Engineer RHCE,CCSA
tel;work:+3545254267
tel;fax:+3545528801