Re: F10 nightmare under control

Arne Chr. Jorgensen wrote:
Can I replace the card with something Fedora support ?
Yes, there are cards supported by entirely free drivers. If you can find
one which uses the ZyDAS ZD1211 chipset, that's a good one, I have one
of those and it works very well with the free zd1211rw driver.

How would this be supported ?
The hardware is a HP-compac 6715b, with network chipset from Broadcom.
In some previous release of Fedora, I tried to get it working with
Bcm43xx, but had to compile my own driver. Something I failed doing,
some libraries or headers was not in the release.Frequent updates of packages drowned me.

Adam Williamson wrote:
- " wl is a proprietary module and is not part of Fedora, hence your problem is unlikely to be addressed on this list :) "

I was unaware that Broadcom had any driver for Linux. I was certain I was running some precompiled b43-module. To patch/compile - make your own version, is too demanding. And your left on some different page then the rest.
So, with the other chipset, would you get wireless "out-of-the-box"
with Fedora ?
If "replace your hardware" is an acceptable solution, you would, at least to the extent that any recent version using NetworkManager supports wireless. Another alternative is to use the ndiswrapper to run the Windows drivers, although people who have big budgets will tell you that's a bad thing.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>