Re: Fedora 11 snapshot 1 live CD destroys its CD-RW boot media

Robert Nichols wrote:
Robert Nichols wrote:
Robert Nichols wrote:
I burned Fedora 11 snapshot 1 to a CD-RW and tried it in my Lenovo 3000
N200 laptop.  Nice to see the Plymouth graphic, but there the niceness
ends.  Screen goes blank and the system becomes totally unresponsive.
Only recourse is a hard power-off.  I then find that the CD-RW has
become unreadable even in the machine that wrote it.  The hard drive in
the laptop is, fortunately, still intact.

I've been able to confirm the media overwriting in another machine with
completely different hardware (Compaq EVO D510 desktop).  That machine
actually boots and runs from the CD-RW, but sector 0 on the CD-RW can
never be read again until the disk is erased and rewritten.

If no one can suggest a component to write a bug report against, I'll
just have to make a wild guess and blame _something_, probably hal.

I think I have a smoking gun against DeviceKit.  If I boot the current
rawhide (not the live CD) and insert a CD-RW that currently holds a
file system, the file system gets mounted read/write!

/dev/sr0 on /media/Fedora-11-Snap1-i686-Live type iso9660 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit,...)

Let's see writable media in a RW drive, not forced RO... undesirable but understandable. Having not had any problem with a burn to CD-R, I suggest doing the burn to a CD-R and I suspect it will work fine.

I could believe that you are on the "less traveled way" on using RW boot media, so the behavior may have been around for a while.

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
  Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a
normal user and is setuid root, with the "vi" line edit mode selected,
and the character set is "big5," an off-by-one error occurs during
wildcard (glob) expansion.