Re: USB disks on the gnome desktop in F11 beta

On 04/10/2009 11:53 PM, Allen Kistler wrote:
Joachim Backes wrote:
  >  Logging in into the gnome desktop will show all attached USB disks on
  >  the desktop using the USB icon. Because I don't like to unmount the
  >  disks each time when logging in, I could get rid from this feature in
  >  F10 by using the System->Preferences->Authorizations menu.
  >
  >  How to do achieve this in F11 beta?

The easiest way is to install gconf-editor.  Then go to
/apps/nautilus/preferences and ...

1. uncheck media_automount
2. uncheck media_automount_open
3. check media_autorun_never

Allen,

your reply was very helpful so I got rid from mounting the usb disks.
Thanks.

JB
IMO these are generally good things to do no matter what.

You can also do the same things by hand-editing the corresponding
gconf.xml file, but I find the GUI editor a lot easier (and less prone
to typos).

Note that these are per-user settings.  If you want to make them
mandatory system-wide, then you do have to resort to hand editing.

Back in F9 days, you used to be able to tell hal not to notify Gnome
when a medium was inserted.  Now Gnome checks on its own.  Argh.