Loss of accounts with f11 update

I did a massive (~800mb) yum update last night, apparently in two stages. My laptop ran out of power in the middle before completing the transaction. I later ran yum-complete-transaction which removed 173 packages. I know that at least some of this was correct since it removed old versions of wine and wireshark. Unfortunately, the passwd file seems to have problems now, the boot process complains that root is an unknown user. After loading all daemons that will work, the machine becomes unusable since I don't know any valid login names.

1) - how do I make my laptop usable ( I don't want to reinstall because I am not sure that I remember how to up broadcom wireless)
2) - what should I look for to help track down the problem