Re: OT yum rollback (was When will Fedora work again?)

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009, Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:

if I upgrade from mysql4 to mysql5, for example and get mysql5 running then my databases have been converted. Now, if I rollback the binaries, how do I go back?

Rollback the whole of mysql? or just the databases?
If the rollback is for the whole of mysql it *should* rollback the db's as well... if changes are stored by diff (or similar method) the rollback shouldn't be too difficult.

Except then you lose all the data additions, not just db format changes.

If you're happy with those kind of rollbacks I can show you how to do an lvm snapshot.

Seems to me that this should/would be considered part of the existing program...
if you rollback one... you have to rollback both.

But how do you do that rollback?

if I'm on a machine used by 10 users.

I upgrade firefox
a day passes
then decide to roll it back

How do I rollback all the users' data? Remember, being an admin on a machine does NOT mean you control or even have access to the user's data.

If a diff (or similar) is stored for the configs/data/etc... the rollback wouldn't be much of an issue.

See above.

The problems I can see...
a.) new data on upgraded program... how to rollback?
1.) the answer to this is painful... but fairly obvious in my opinion... warn the users that any new data stored since the upgrade will be lost.
b.) config changes on upgraded program?
        1.) answer same as above.

This feature would be fine for advanced users who understand the danger... but for novices
this is equivalent to placing a .45 cal in a child's hands.
On the other hand... linux has done such for years... why worry now?

b/c I'd like to be better.
-sv