Re: Interesting comments

Adam Williamson wrote:
On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 08:59 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:

If you can describe how to reproduce a problem, you
1. Validate the original complaint
2. Demonstrate that there is enough information for the developer to proceed. 3. Provide a testcase that can be used to demonstrate that the problem has been fixed. 4. Advance your own skills, perhaps on the road to becoming "maintainer" of something.

If you can't reproduce a problem, it's going to be very hard indeed to fix it. For that reason many kernel bugs can be difficult.

Just because you (the triager) can't reproduce it doesn't mean no-one
else can.

That is true.

Maybe the bug's in KDE and you run GNOME, or the bug's in Fedora 9 and

Anyone triaging GNOME should be running it, at lease some of the time. I normally use KDE, what do I care about GNOME (unless I'm paid to)?

you run 10, or the bug only happens on NVIDIA graphics cards and you
have an ATI. There's lots of bugs that not necessarily anyone in the
triage team will be able to reproduce.

Al that is true, but then maybe the triager should be leaving it alone, or just taking some steps.

Reproducing a bug is, indeed, a great way - almost infallible - to be
sure the report has sufficient information and can therefore be triaged.
But I don't think it's the *only* way, and it shouldn't be required...

Read the problems I had with kernel 2.6.25. They're on this list, and in Bugzilla.

Sure a triager can't be expected to reproduce every bug, but whenever possible they should try. Even if it means reinstalling an older release ( and yes, I know not everyone can do that, but I expect some RH employees _can_). Considering the problems I (and importantly, others) had with the HP DC7700 I think I would expect RH to acquire some (it's a corporate desktop system and I know RHEL customers use them).

As an aside, I now manage a brace of DC5850s. They're different (AMD chipset and processor, not Intel) and newer, but I was very pleased to find the diagnostic disk boots Linux. I figure the prospects of running Linux on them is excellent, and in fact I use Linux to deploy Windows.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait