Re: 64-bit Kernel Question

On 03/08/2009 07:41 PM, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
It really should run faster, shouldn't it? At least I will be using the CPU
to it's full potential, and with programs made for it.

Yes, but you may need more memory.

I ran 64-bit Rawhide for a bit, but things were noticably slower:
A build would take over twice as long, because I ended up doing
more swapping.

With 32-bit Rawhide, 3GB of memory seems comfortable - I use very
little swap.  With 64-bit Rawhide things are more sluggish.

I ended up replacing my 64-bit install with a 32-bit install.
--
	--Per Bothner