Re: [Fwd: Re: Bringing smolt to the next level..]

Blaming my previous post on a lack of coffee shrinking this thread a bit

<snip>
</snip>

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

We had a openchrome developer ping for testing on -test list today which
reminded me I was going to
send you ideas about bringing smolt to the next level..

To be able to bring smolt to the next level we need to keep our own
smolt server ( Fedora hosted ) and tie it to the FAS account where

A)
        Testers/QA can check/uncheck their hardware for testing

B)
        Developer can search for a specific hardware that is marked for
testing
        and communicate with the owners of that hardware to perform specific
test etc..

So what needs to be done to accomplish this.

First smoltSendProfile needs to be able to point do a different server than
smolst.org and authenticate against FAS
It already can ( smoltSendProfile -s --username= --password= ) so path to
server is clear..

A back end needs to be set up which can host multiple smolt profiles on the
same fas uid ( sql fas uid )

From a tester perspective I would want to be able to manage my smolt profiles
through smolt-gui and through
my fas account.

There I would like to be able to get a list of all my smolt profiles..
Enable/disable testing individually on each of them
Delete each of them
Enable/Disable receive email notification from maintainer/developer
( This would just be tied to the @fedoraproject email address )

This here is an extreme extra..
Receive info on what to test  ( Test Case info pulled from qa namespace on the
wiki  this is not yet implemented )
Receive info on how to test ( Again pull info from the qa namespace on the
wiki  this is not yet implemented )
Recieve info on how to report ( qa namespace once more and not yet implemented
)
Post the result of my testing ( vote/comment ) to bodhi or some other place..

As a maintainer/developer ( guessing here ; ) have absolutely no need for the
smolt-gui nor the web interface in my fas account
but would be like to be able to search for specific hw owners, send them
notification.

This can be stock response which is with filled in entry from the criteria of
the performed search.

For example..

An update has been built in koji that addresses several issues for user that
have ati r300 ( r300 being what was search for )
you are mark as a owner of such glorious hardware bla bla bla
Please perform the following test ( link to test case on qa namespace )
Followed by your  reciving this mail because you registerd yourself as a
tester something something..

This of course would also be sent to the -test-list to reach tester that might
have not yet sent their smolt profile and marked it up for testing..

Better to get input from a developer that actually needs this info on what and
how he would like to work with the smoltprofiles...

I actually don't see any need to tie this directly to FAS, why not just
tie it to an email address?  If I submit with my email, I'll get an email
with a link to verify that it is my address and profile.  This would also
allow us to find people who don't run Fedora should the need come up.

The rest of it is pretty doable but we'd need people to do it.  I get the
occasional changes into smolt but time constraints keep me from working on
it very often, I've got a good 6 months of backlog for infrastructure
stuff.

Having said that though, its not that complicated to work on smolt.  The
hardest part is ensuring we're using the database correctly (not doing so
causes queries to take way to long)

Also, one of the items on our todo list is a more feature rich API.
That'd let us use the main smolt instance but not clutter the smolts.org
space up with fedora specific stuff.

Maybe a google summer of code project?

	-Mike

begin:vcard
fn:Johann B. Gudmundsson
n:Gudmundsson;Johann B.
org:Reiknistofnun - University of Iceland;IT Management
adr:Taeknigardi;;Dunhagi 5;Reykjavik;;107;Iceland
email;internet:johannbg@xxxxx
title:Unix System Engineer RHCE,CCSA
tel;work:+3545254267
tel;fax:+3545528801