Re: Service initialization

Christopher Beland wrote:
So according to:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/20SecondStartup

Upstart is or will hopefully be starting services in parallel.  If this
is the case, do the S and K numbers in the symlinks in /etc/rc5.d/*
really mean much anymore?  Would it be a useful smoke test to reverse
them all and make sure everything still works?

It would actually be interesting to know whether Fedora is trying the
"there are three critical paths" approach to fast booting, or "mostly
the same as always with a few tweaks" or "just start everything at once
and let the kernel sort it out", or something else?

-B.

I'm missing the point, sorry. A happy me is a machine that does requested tasks faster. I boot my laptop once a day, on average. Go pour a cup of coffee and do my morning devotions then come and check e-mail. My dev servers get booted twice a month or so. If someone is thinking to change the init process so that you break lots of stuff to get sub-20 second boots, I think the focus is way off.

There's nothing wrong with poking rpc to see why so many reads are done but you will waste many person-weeks of time getting folks moved to some "thing" so they can save a few seconds here.

Leam