Re: Shtt!!

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 11:35 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 06:30 -0500, Andrew Parker wrote:
On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 8:59 PM, John Summerfield
<debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Why on earth does Fedora ten not give me the chance to specify an install Server?  I downloaded the network install CD as that's the quickest way to get a portable (between home and office) network install up. I thought.

I have a copy of F10 on my LAN and Anaconda's downloading across the country. This is bizarre. Bad for my install time, bad for my internet bandwidth (1.5 M<bits vs 100 Mbits), bad for my download quota and bad for my Internet Access Provider (who has a copy too!).

Have you tried booting with "askmethod"?
askmethod is a large hammer to use for this situation, though it will
certainly work.  Better just to edit the URLs for the repos in the UI.
Saves you the time/bandwidth of having to download the second stage of
the installer as opposed to just using it off of the cd

Jeremy

Since you can't edit the repos until the initial download of metadata
from said repos, it can often be nicer to use the 'repo=uri' boot time
option.  This instructs anaconda where to get the packages from, but
still allows anaconda to use the local install.img on your boot media.

That assumes one knows it's necessary. It's going to catch a lot of other experienced users.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait