Re: F10 upgrade leaves behind F9 packages

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 09:20:42AM +0200, Alexander Todorov wrote:
Then anaconda showed a status bar telling me it's finishing the
upgrade process. This stayed on the screen for some 10 minutes and
I thought it was hung (somebody else reported the same on the list
but can't find the thread).

Depending on a number of packages you are updating, amounts of
memory, a speed of your disk and CPU (probably in that order) this
phase may take _hours_ (yes, multiple).  Installing from scratch
is definitely a faster procedure than updating.

You can check that your machine is not dead through a text console
but some graphic "I'am not dead but truly busy" indicator would
be really nice here.

Rebooting works and
I'm able to log into GNOME.

You just interrupted a cleanup phase and that leaves a considerable
mess.  A crashing update may do that to you but you got yourself
into that mess on your own volition.

All you said below was correct. Thing is that anaconda didn't inform the user it was doing a cleanup. A busy progress bar doesn't indicate much.

btw I've managed to recover the system to a sane state.

What's obvious is that there are much more packages installed on
the system and lots of foo-version.fc9 && foo-version.fc10
packages.

Some packages may be really from older systems if they are not
duplicates.

Do these duplicated packages pose any risk to the system?

You will likely be in a big trouble with dependencies on the
next attempt to update.

Is it safe to just rpm -e them?

Not really.  'rpm -Va' will likely report hundreds of files missing
after such operation.  Try yum-complete-transaction instead although
'rpm -Va' may still turn out not to be totally happy.

   Michal