Re: Root Privelages

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 10:29 +0100, sschroeder wrote:

Is there any way to gain root access in GNOME to do things that require root authenication (moving files for example to the /usr/ folder, without:
	su - sudo su -

Doing that gets annoying, since I have to do that, go to something that prompts for the root password, type the root password AGAIN, and to boot, I can't choose when I want the authentication to expire, it just goes away, making copying a large number of files very difficult. In Fedora 9 you could log on as root (which I understand why they took it away, but you could choose to keep root authentication), is there a way to anymore?

Is there some problem in simply running 'su' and getting a root shell?

poc

Remove "user != root quiet" in /etc/pam.d/gdm

And you have a root login from GDM

Does this work for you? I tried that and nothing changed.. still no root login.

JBG

Adam Pribyl