Re: Flash plugin - where?

Timothy Murphy wrote, On 11/16/2008 10:22 PM:
When I install Flash plugin (or other plugins)
by going to <https://addons.mozilla.org/>
and following the instructions,
the plugin is installed in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ .

These plugins are not listed when I enter "about:plugins" in Firefox,
and they do not appear to be active.

However, if I link these plugin files to .mozilla/plugins/
then they are listed and are active.

Is this normally required?
Or have I omitted some step in installing plugins?

Mozilla delibarately distinguishes "addons" from "plugins".

Addons are packages that integrates deeply into Firefox and friends and uses mozilla technology like XUL. Plugins are at a lower level and interfaces at the level of the systems dynamic linker.

Flash is a plugin, not an addon. I can't believe you got Flash from addons.mozilla.org.

That doesn't answer your questions, but I hope it helps a bit ;-)

/Mads