Re: ext4 able to boot from ext3 mbr?

Eric Sandeen wrote:
Antonio Olivares wrote:

One can have an ext4 partition, but the /boot partition has to be ext2 or ext3 if I am not mistaken?  I have such a setup that I have an ext4 partition, but I am not sure if the /boot partition is ext2 or ext3?

That's correct.

If the mention of "ext3 mbr" meant "/boot is ext3" then the relevant
info is:  grub cannot (yet) boot from ext4.  /boot must be a separate,
non-ext4, grub-supported filesystem.  I'd go with ext3.

Thanks,
-Eric

I want to thank everyone who responded. It is clear to me now what is necessary to use an ext4 filesystem.

My failure was that I was using /boot that was ext4. I could select it from the grub menu on the other disk, but when it tried to start from there, it failed.

At least that is what I remember.  It's been a while.