freecell crashes x while yum is running

As Red Skeleton was known to say, "I just do them, I don't explain them". I have noticed more than once that x freezes if I am playing freecell while running "sudo yum update" from a gnome terminal. I have not had X freeze in any other scenario. The symptoms of the freeze are:

  1. yum is downloading at the time
  2. It happens while I am dragging a card - the motion freezesa
  3. The mouse still moves but none of the rollovers do anything and
     clicking doesn't have any effect
  4. The keyboard doesn't have any effect. Not even ctrl-alt-del,
     ctrl-alt-f2, or ctrl-alt-backspace
  5. The gnome monitor panel applet freezes
  6. ssh works. I can log in from another machine
  7. /sbin/init 3 doesn't do anything

I am running F10 rawhide on a Dell Latitude D620 - integrated Intel graphics chip.