Re: F10 Snap 3, VMware Workstation 6.5, and ThinkPad T400

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 15:35 -0600, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 19:57 +0100, Denis Leroy wrote:
Christopher A. Williams wrote:
kills X. Hopefully the accelerated drivers will work better...

I'm trying now to get VMware Workstation 6.5 up and running. It installs
without incident from the Bundle file. The RPM doesn't. In both cases,
Workstation simply refuses to start. Trying from the command line, I get
messages back that several modules and services are not running. Does
anybody have this working??? This is the next critical piece for me to
solve...
You need to run vmware as root the first time, so it can compile its host-side kernel modules. Once that's done, quit and restart it.
No dice. I reinstalled and then ran as root the first time. Here's what
I get as error messages back:

Logging to /tmp/vmware-root/setup-5583.log
modinfo: could not find module vmmon
modinfo: could not find module vmnet
modinfo: could not find module vmblock
modinfo: could not find module vmci
modinfo: could not find module vsock
modinfo: could not find module vmmon
modinfo: could not find module vmnet
modinfo: could not find module vmblock
modinfo: could not find module vmci
modinfo: could not find module vsock

I don't seen an other errors at all. the old vmware-config.pl file is
also not present.

vmware-config.pl is no longer part of Workstation in 6.5.  It should
reconfigure automatically when run as root after booting a new kernel.

Still searching for answers...

Do you have compilers installed?

Right that's most likely it. Make sure you have 'kernel-devel' present, and 'gcc'. Also, is this Workstations 6.5 build 118166 ?