Re: Sound and F10 release

On 10/21/2008 06:34 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
Dennis J. wrote:

It's obvious that the specific interaction between pulseaudio and alsa is
the problem in these cases but if neither of the stakeholders feel
particular responsible for addressing the issue then I don't see how this
will ever get resolved.

Personally, I've not seen any dismissing of responsibility, and leveling
such claims doesn't seem constructive to me.

I filed bug #428537 when my card stopped working after an PA update and that report got dismissed with "There's something wrong with your ALSA. Try if upgrading ALSA fixes your problems." by the PA maintainer. It didn't and I pointed that out but got no further response.

That sounds fairly dismissive to me.

I can understand the frustration (ie, "fix it now!"), but fixing such issues
is often complex, and doing it properly is the only sane way forward.

I didn't say "fix it now!" and my point is precisely that these bugs cannot be fixed if there is nobody to report them to. If the PA maintainers immediately dismiss this as an alsa problem an there is really no decent bug that can be filed against alsa because alsa by itself works just fine then how am I supposed to report issues like these?

Given that these problem deal with the interaction of two different subsystems I would like to see the maintainers of these subsystems to come to some kind of understanding what to do in these cases. If the PA guys want to deal with this fine, if the ALSA guys want to deal with this fine too but right now there seems to be nobody to go to for this stuff.

Regards,
  Dennis