Re: F10 beta KDE LiveCD

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Wednesday 01 October 2008 11:49:03 Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
Anne Wilson wrote:
I regret to report that this is an abysmal failure on my Acer Travelmate
laptop.

The display booted and looked fine.  Hovering over the widget for battery
status/cpu frequency popped up a display.  A right-click on the panel
brought nothing.  A click on the F menu brought nothing.  I moved back to
the widget that had first worked, and at that point the mouse pointer
froze. Ctrl-alt-backspace does nothing, so I suspect that the keyboard is
not being read either.

Hardware
Pentium M730 cpu
ATi Mobility Radeon X600

didn't get as far as testing network.

Anne
Try booting it with the kernel parameter nomodeset.

Yes, that seems to have cured it.  What exactly is that doing?
Turning of kernel mode setting ( KMS )

There have been some issue with some ATI cards with certain chip sets
Developers are taking a closer look what's causing this.

If you want to get up to speed on the status of the KMS take a look at
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=xorg_kms_2008&num=1

You can just go through basic testing procedure if you have the
Does every app work.
Are the any icons missing.
Does bluetooth work ( If you have a bluetooth )
Install to usb ( if you have one )
Install to HD ( if you can )
Go through the https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/10/FeatureList
To see if you can test feature listed there are working.
And so on.

begin:vcard
fn:Johann B. Gudmundsson
n:Gudmundsson;Johann B.
org:Reiknistofnun - University of Iceland;IT Management
adr:Taeknigardi;;Dunhagi 5;Reykjavik;;107;Iceland
email;internet:johannbg@xxxxx
title:Unix System Engineer RHCE,CCSA
tel;work:+3545254267
tel;fax:+3545528801