Re: How can we speed up rpm downloads?

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 08:08 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
I don't think either downloads in parallel, and if your internet is running at its rated speed, that is likely the bottleneck do running two, three or more downloads in parallel will serve only to choke your self. And waste server resources.

apt-get does run several downloads in parallel. This makes sense when
some servers can only server data at a rate lower than the connection
bandwidth, which does happen particularly with high-traffic sites.

I use apt-get regularly, I also have some Debian systems, and the progress meter doesn't reflect parallel downloads.

If a remote (free!) server is already overloaded, adding to its stress doesn't seem very sensible. It doesn't take a very large increase in requests for a service to go from "very busy but coping" to "thrashing." Just take a look at supermarket queues and think how well the are run, and how they might be run better (from the customer's POV). I've rairely seen an idle checkout operator.

If an operator can (on average) serve one customer per minute (and the times don't vary much), and customers arrive at one per minute, there won't be much of a queue. However, if customers arrive each 55 seconds, it won't take long for the queue to go out the door, so to speak.

If the bottleneck isn't the server, but the network, then IP is designed to discard packets when overloaded, and TCP manages this by detecting discarded packets and requesting they be resent. An IP network is quite resilient, but it can be flooded and this is what use of parallel downloads does.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait