Re: First step at useful metrics

John Poelstra wrote:

Thanks for sharing your ideas cautions about using metrics. The big difference between your example of misguided metrics and our project here is that there is NO "management". Management is all of us and what WE decide we want things to be.

"Management is all of us" is never true, even if the one saying so believes it.

Some people follow, others lead. In any group of people, someone will rise to the top and dominated, often by the unspoken agreement of the others. I noticed this when I was at school over 40 years ago, and I don't think people have changed much since.

The leaders tend to be those who voice their opinions, whose opinions and skills are respected. If elections are held, positions will generally be filled from the ranks of acknowledged leaders. In sporting teams, where formal leaders are appointed, the appointed leaders are chosen mostly from senior players, acknowledged by the others as leaders. Often, these senior players are described as "the leadership group."

This does not mean that even the newest member doesn't have useful input; this is a point that Geoff Lawson, the new coach to the Pakistan Cricket team, is driving home; when the players have a team meeting, everyone is expected to have an opinion.

You might all, have a vote but look to see where the ideas come from.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait