f9 install notes

Thanks go out to the f9 team for a great release. I used the new jigdo file to update my prerelease iso. This was way faster than loading an entirely new install dvd. On to the install...

I booted the new x86_64 dvd and asked anaconda to check it. It said it was OK, and ejected the dvd. When I said to continue, I would get an error dialog, over and over and installation would not continue. I had to do a reset and start over and bypass the media check. This happened on two different machines.

On upgrading a F8 install, anaconda could not determine the boot loader and selected the "do nothing" option, so I used it. F8 booting as a straight forward sda grub load. However, on reboot, anaconda had indeed modified the grub.conf file correctly, with all other entries intact. I think a new user would be really confused. I was just slightly confused :-). I think the grayed out "boot loader will be modified" entry should have been selected.

When I ran system-config-display, it said it would generate a xorg.conf.bak file, but never did. It just did a replacement of the file.

Did a fresh install to a new PUNDIT 1H AH2 system with sata disk and dvd. Two gigs memory and 4400+ X2 processor. It uses an NVIDIA 6150 graphics chip onboard. I used a CTX-S762G LCD 17" monitor. When I booted from the install dvd, I get "Signal out of Range" for the display and I could not continue. Using the "vesa" option to the boot parameters allowed me to go through the install. I got the same thing on firstboot, so I had to add "vesa" and "resolution=1280x1024" to the boot parameters. I still had to do <ctrl><alt>+ several time to get past the same message. Running system-config-display and selecting a generic 1280x1024 LCD display and vesa hardware allows the system to boot. It seems Xorg wants to drive the display faster than 75Hz. And again, there is not a backup file generated for xorg.conf.

Now on to upgrading my rawhide machine to the new f10 rawhide.

Jim