Re: Menu entries in Gnome

Dejan Čabrilo wrote:
I've been testing Fedora 9 for a while now, and I came to notice a bit
silly organization of GNOME menu entries. Perhaps I should report this
as a sort of a bug?

1) Authorizations (polkit-gnome-authorization), Power Management
(gnome-power-preferences) and Software Updates (gpk-prefs) reside in
System/Preferences/System.
First of all, this is a problem because of two "System" menu names.
Also, I think it would make more sense to put them in
System/Administration.

That change might make sense for the Authorizations tool, but not for the others because those are per user configurations. Authorizations is system wide afaik.

2) Qt3 Config (qtconfig) and Qt4 Config (qtconfig-qt4) are both in
System/Preferences. They are the only entries, at least on my system,
that reside in the top of Preferences. It would make more sense to put
them in System/Preferences/Look and Feel

Yes, I agree with that one, but there are others that show up there as well (the gnome tweak tools), so the qt tools are not the only things there at least.

3) There are other weird things about menu entries that I see..
Namely, why do we have both Main menu/System tools, and
System/Administration, or why is Keyboard Shortcuts in Personal and
not Look and Feel. However, these should be addressed upstream to
GNOME, right?

Probably upstream discussion, but the system tools are separate because they should be monitoring tools in the applications menu, and system-wide configuration tools in the system administration menu.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@xxxxxxxxx> www.lordmorgul.net
 gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29