Rawhide login "feature"

I am running the latest rawhide using KDE. When the login screen comes up, it provides my username and is setting at the password entry. If I type in all or part of my password and then stop typing, the entry gets cleared after about 40 seconds. I have to retype the password again. Is this a timeout a "feature" or a bug? If it is a "feature", why is there a timeout and clearing of the entry?

Jim