Samba n0t working in gnome desktop

I have read previous posts listings, but do not seems to have found answer to the problem: I am unable to browse the network shares from the f9 gnome desktop. I am able to see the f9 shares on the machine and access them from all other networked boxes including in network on the f9 I can mount and access the network shares on other machines using the mount -t cifs option and specifying the ip, share and mount point. So it seems that there is nothing fundementally wrong with samba. I have disabled SElinux and Firewall and have been comparing as much as I can from the working f8 install. Having spent hours now trying to find out what is wrong I am totally lost at what to look at next. I see the following errors. in May 3 10:07:43 LINSERVER kernel: gvfsd-smb-brows[5652]: segfault at 0 ip a601d8 sp 41065000 error 6 in libnss_wins.so.2[a29000+152000]messages
In samba log:
[2008/05/03 10:07:43,  0] lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr_internal(1601)
 getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected
Any help much appreciated