Re: GDM Greeter

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
[snip]
Perhaps the simplest idea, though, is to have gnome-about-me ask the
user if they'd like to modify home directory permissions to show face on
desktop, so at least, there's no surprises.

I'm just curious.  Where would you store them (other than the home
directory) that would remain during updates.

Well, the images are already stored in the pixmaps directory, so you just need to store the path (if another path is specified that the greeter doesn't have permissions for, that's up to the user to make sure the permissions are correct). The path could be stored in an /etc/passwd type file (/etc/faces?), with a similar utility to allow each user to modify his/her own line (gnome-about-me could be modified to do it, but I'm not sure what this would involve).

An alternative approach that would not allow users to modify their own image is to make the utility that edits the /etc/faces file be system-config-users. If that was the case, the utility could also have a checkbox "include in greeter list", along with input box for image path.

Personally, I think the decision to have a username in the list is an administrator one, and the decision for the image is a user one.

Rainman