Re: How to remove a damaged file

Anne Wilson wrote, On 04/23/2008 10:39 AM:
On Wednesday 23 April 2008 15:15, John Summerfield wrote:
Anne Wilson wrote:
Due to a loss of concentration I have a damaged directory called Packages
on my pen-drive.  I can't rm it - Input/output error.  I've cleared
everything else off. How can I get rid of this?
mkfs

If that doesn't work, try fdisk and then mkfs. If it still doesn't work,
<plonk>

I've used fdisk and mkfs on a blank disk, but I'm confused about this. I guess it's getting around the problem of FAT file-systems, but it appears to have one parition of 8GB and three empty ones. Something like LVM, I presume.

I don't feel that I know what I'm doing, here.

Anne

Is it a SanDisk??? I ask because they have some weird junk on their sticks that you need to use MS to remove and it alternately looks like a partition or a second disk when you plug it in.

DON'T delete the partitions until after removing the tool!

"Can I remove U3 technology from my USB drive?"
http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1450#Q13
or "U3 Launchpad Removal Tool"
http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1415

As for just reformatting the partition that is there I would suggest three things:
1) read `man mkdosfs`
2) consider just doing a raw RW badblocks run against the device... if it comes up with a lot, you may want to just "<plonk>" the thing in the circular file. (after hitting it with a hammer a few times. :)
3) because you have IO problems and a big disk
mkdosfs -c -F 32 -v /dev/devicepartition

--
Todd Denniston