Re: Fedora 9 Preview Release Experience

Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:

4) CIFS filesystems take a long time to umount on shutdown/restart since networkmanager has closed the network. This may not seem like a big deal, but unless the user knows to ctr-alt-f7 to see shutdown msgs, the user will wonder why shutdown is taking so long and may start hard/soft reboot attempts.

Unless service foo needs to save state, I don't see a lot of point in stopping it.

Interpret "service foo" liberally, I've been wondering why several things are done during shutdown (and switching runlevels) including shutting down network interfaces.

It may be a topic for a group discussion, I don't see the point of umounting filesystems unless and except where it's necessary so as to ensure the cache is flushed.

There may be some point to _saving_ firewall rules, but I see no point in explicitly _removing_ the rules.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait